He earned his Physics degree from the University of Rome 'La Sapienza' and obtained his Ph.D. in Physics from the University of Perugia.
He has conducted research at various institutions, including DESY Laboratory in Hamburg (Germany), the University of Gent (Belgium), and Ferrara University (Italy). Currently, he holds the position of senior researcher at the Laboratori Nazionali di Frascati, part of the Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare (INFN) in Italy, and is qualified as a full professor.
He has been member of the following international Collaborations and experiments:
- LHCb at the CERN laboratory in Geneva where his focus is on the Heavy-Ion collisions. He is responsible of the internal gas target projects at the LHC, namely SMOG2 and LHCspin;
- ALICE at the CERN laboratory in Geneva where he focussed on the hadronic jet production in the Quark Gluon Plasma collisions. Additionally, he was group leader, and played a key role in the development and construction of the electromagnetic calorimeter and the solid-state Inner Tracking System;
- HERMES at the DESY laboratory in Hamburg, where his research activity focussed on the electron-proton interactions at medium energy and nuclear medium effects on hadron production and transport. During his time with HERMES, he held various scientific and managerial key roles, including the position of deputy spokesperson;
- H1 at the DESY laboratory in Hamburg, specializing in photoproduction events and the development of neural networks for high-energy physics.
Some of the professional responsibilities include:
- Convener of the Luminosity Working Group and Early Measurements in LHCb;
- Member of the INFN national committee for the outreach and director delegate within the LNF;
- Responsible of the institutional divulgation web site ScienzaPerTutti;
- Responsible of the Scientific Communication and Divulgation group at the LNF;
- Deputy Spokesperson, Run Coordinator, responsible of the electromagnetic calorimeter, Analysis Coordinator, Deputy Chairman Editorial Board;
Member of internal scientific councils and serve as a referee for experiments at CERN as well as for international scientific journals.He is author of more than 700 scientific publications.
In addition to lectures and seminars at various universities and laboratories, he has been invited to speak at numerous international conferences and workshops.