[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[Fwd: Distribution of List of Open Jobs]

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:04:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From: "Irmgard.Harm@desy.de" <harm@desy.de>
Subject: Distribution of List of Open Jobs
To: zeus+zeuscp@desy.de

Irmgard Harm                                     DESY  F01  Notkestr. 85
ZEUS Secretary                                   D-22603 Hamburg,  Germany
                                                 Tel.:  +49-40-8998-2347
                                                 Fax:   +49-40-8994-3092
                                                 Email: Irmgard.Harm@desy.de

TO ALL ZEUS CONTACT PERSONS
---------------------------

This list of vacant positions is supplemented whenever a new offer is received.
It will be mailed to all contact persons of ZEUS and should be made public
within your group.  The list can also be found on the Web at the location:

               http://www-zeus.desy.de/~harm/jobs.html

Old ads will be deleted three months after reception.  Should you like to
submit an offer, please forward a straight ASCII file to the ZEUS secretary.

 ** PLEASE INFORM THE ZEUS SECRETARIAT WHEN A POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED **

This ad was added on July 16, 1999:

 UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW

 DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS AND ASTRONOMY

 RESEARCH ASSOCIATE IN PARTICLE PHYSICS

 #16,286 - 24,479  (RA1B/1A)

 REF 351/99

 This new position is available, initially for up to two years with the
 possibility of  extension, on the ZEUS experiment at DESY.  The Glasgow
 group has made major contributions to the analysis of deep inelastic
 scattering and hard photoproduction. We are looking for an outstanding
 applicant with experience in Experimental Particle Physics who has, or is
 about to obtain, a PhD.  The post is based in Glasgow but will involve
 periods of work in Hamburg.

 Further particulars are available from
 http://www.gla.ac.uk/Otherdepts/Personnel/recruit/ ,
 Telephone 0044 141 330 4673 or by E-mail: d.saxon@physics.gla.ac.uk.
 Applications, including CV, publications list, and the names and addresses
 of two referees, should be sent by 30 September 1999 to Prof. D H Saxon,
 Kelvin Building, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, G12 8QQ, Scotland.

This ad was added on Juy 13, 1999:

Stellenausschreibung Nr. 16/99

Physicist/Computer Scientist for the Introduction of OO Technologies

The two Colliding Beam Detector Collaborations, H1 and ZEUS, at DESY are
developing new methods and tools to handle the increased data volume
expected from the Luminosity Upgrade of the HERA ep collider after the year
2000. The two collaborations plan to perform major parts of the physics
analysis using Object-Oriented Technologies. In a pilot project a common
data format for the two experiments is to be defined and the necessary data
analysis environment to be developed. The project team comprises members of
both collaborations and of the central computing support group at DESY.

The two experiments H1 and ZEUS and the central computing support group at
DESY are looking for highly motivated individuals to participate in this
project.People interested should

have successfully completed a Ph.D. in Physics or Computer Science,
have an interest in problems related to the handling and analysis of data
samples in the multi-TeraByte range,
have experience or be interested in Object-Oriented Programming
Technologies,
be willing to work closely together in a team consisting of Physicists and
Computer Scientists.
The appointment will be at DESY in Hamburg and be initially limited to 3
years. Conditions are those of the German "Bundesangestelltentarif (BAT)".

Verg|tungsgruppe IIa ( Bewdhrungsaufstieg Ib)

Interested candidates under 32 years of age are invited to send their
application including a resume and the usual documents (curriculum vitae,
list of publications, copies of university degrees) and should also arrange
for three letters of reference to be sent directly to

DESY
Personalabteilung -V2-
Notkestr. 85
D-22607 Hamburg

Handicapped applicants with equal qualifications will be prefered.
DESY encourages especially women to apply.

This ad was added on July 12, 1999:

POSTDOC POSITION AVAILABLE with WISCONSIN on CMS

The Experimental High Energy Physics Group at the University of
Wisconsin - Madison is seeking applicants to fill a post
doctoral research position to work on the level 1 calorimeter
trigger for the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) experiment to be
built at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. The position
could also involve participation in and data analysis for the
Zeus experiment at the HERA ep collider at DESY.

The Wisconsin group has overall responsibility for the CMS
Trigger Project and is specifically responsible for building the
Level 1 Regional Calorimeter Trigger. This system consists of 19
crates of 160 MHz electronics boards and ASICs that will process
3 Terabits/second of electromagnetic and hadronic trigger tower
sums from the calorimeter front end electronics and produce
information on electrons, photons, jets, and energy sums in
about 300 nsec for transmission to the global calorimeter
trigger.

The successful candidate would work on the physics simulation of
the CMS level 1 calorimeter trigger, provide software support for
the calorimeter trigger hardware tests, assist engineering staff
in hardware tests and work on the integration effort with the
calorimeter front end electronics and global calorimeter trigger
systems.

The postdoc would work with the Wisconsin group in Madison with
occasional trips to CERN and other CMS Institutes as required.
The initial appointment is renewable annually for a period of 3
years subject to mutual satisfaction. This position is available
immediately.

For additional information, please contact Prof. Wesley Smith at
wsmith@hep.physics.wisc.edu or 608-262-4690. Information is also
available at http://cmsdoc.cern.ch/~wsmith/CalRT.html.

Interested Candidates should send a curriculum vitae and arrange
to have three letters of recommendation sent to:

Prof. Wesley Smith
Department of Physics
University of Wisconsin
1150 University Ave.
Madison, WI 53706

The University of Wisconsin is an affirmative action/equal
opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to
apply.
| Prof. Wesley H.Smith * Ph: 608-262-4690 or 2281, Fax:608-263-0800 |
| High Energy Physics  * Physics Dept., University of Wisconsin     |
| 4275 Chamberlin Hall * 1150 University Ave.,Madison WI 53706-1390 |
| wsmith@hep.physics.wisc.edu * http://hep.physics.wisc.edu/wsmith/ |

This ad was added on July 8, 1999:

NIKHEF has an opening for a postdoc position for an experimental
physicist in the ZEUS experiment at the electron-proton collider
HERA in DESY (Hambourg).

The NIKHEF group carries responsabilities for the calorimeter readout,
and the second level trigger; the group is strongly involved
in the construction of the silicon microvertex detector, which
is foreseen to be installed in ZEUS by the second half of the year 2000
at the time of the HERA upgrade.

Members of the NIKHEF group participate in the data analysis, with
emphasis on the  analysis of deep inelastic scattering events.

The successful candidate will be offered the opportunity to
participate in the physics analysis and the final construction
phase and commisioning of the microvertex detector (hardware and/or
software wise).
He/she is expected to contribute in the maintenance tasks of the detector
in particular the overall second level trigger, which includes the
implementation and checking of physics filter programs running on
the online system.

The candidate will be offered a two year contract,
renewable by one year and will be resident at DESY for the greater part
of the contract period.

Further information can be obtained from Dr. H.Tiecke
(tiecke@nikhef.nl).
Applications should be addressed before Aug 30th,1999, to the NIKHEF personnel
department to the attention of T. van Egdom, NIKHEF, P.O. Box 41882,
1009 DB Amsterdam, The Netherlands (e-mail : pz@nikhef.nl,
telephone: +31 - 205925077, fax +31 -205925170).

Address: Kruislaan 409, P.O. Box 41882, 1009 DB Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Phone: +31 20 592 5027
Telefax: +31 20 592 5155
Internet: tiecke@nikhef.nl

This ad was added on June 21, 1999:

    POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
    Experimental High Energy Physics
         University of Toronto

Applications are invited for a position as part of the University of
Toronto group working in Hamburg on the ZEUS experiment at DESY.  Members
of our group participate in a wide range of physics analysis efforts on
ZEUS and are responsible for the ZEUS Third Level Trigger. Applicants
should send a letter stating their research interests, along with a resume
and three letters of reference to Prof. John Martin, Department of Physics,
60 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1A7, CANADA.

For further information please contact Prof. John Martin at
martin@physics.utoronto.ca.

Anyone interested is encouraged to apply, but in accordance with Canadian
immigration regulations, this advertisement is directed in the first
instance to Canadian citizens or permanent residents. The University of
Toronto strongly encourages applications by women and members of minority
and aboriginal groups.
This ad was added on June 16, 1999:

The MINOS/Soudan group in the

      High Energy Physics Division of Argonne National Laboratory

invites applications for a postdoctoral position available immediately.

Activities of the group focus on the MINOS experiment - a long-baseline
search for neutrino oscillations.  Detectors will be built at
Fermilab and the Soudan Underground Physics Laboratory in
Minnesota, but the position will be based at Argonne Lab
near Chicago.   The experiment is beginning construction and
plans to start data taking with neutrinos from Fermilab in
the year 2002.   The Argonne group is involved in both
hardware and software aspects of MINOS.

Before July 1, 1999, prospective candidates should send a
letter of application, resume with a publication list, and arrange
for at least three letters of reference to be sent to:

Dr. Lawrence Price
HEP Division Director
Building 362
Argonne, IL 60439, USA.

This ad was added on June 8,1999:

                POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE POSITION
                           HIGH ENERGY PHYSICS
                        THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY

    The Experimental High Energy Physics group at The Ohio State University
has an immediate opening for a postdoctoral research associate with
our CDF program at the FNAL Tevatron.  The group has a major role in the
development of the first level trigger track processor for CDF's Run II,
scheduled to begin in early 2000.  We are seeking a recent Ph.D. candidate
who is interested in the study of the top quark system and the search for
new phenomena.  The successful candidate will be expected to assume a
leadership role in the trigger processor project as well as Run II data
analysis.  This will involve installation and commissioning of the trigger
processor, development of online software, and development of analysis
techniques for the new Run II environment.  The candidate will also be
expected to assist in the supervision of graduate students.  Candidates
should send a letter of application, vitae, list of publications,
and three letters of reference to:
        Professor Richard Hughes, The Ohio State University,
        Department of Physics,
        174 West 18th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210-1106.

For additional information, please call Prof. Hughes at 614-292-7370, or
send e-mail to hughes@mps.ohio-state.edu.

The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer and we actively
encourage applications from women and minority candidates.

This ad was added on May 19, 1999:

The
                 STONY BROOK PARTICLE PHYSICS GROUP

has two openings for postdoctoral research fellows working on the
DZero experiment at the Fermilab pbarp Tevatron Collider.
DZero will begin an extended run in mid-2000 using a substantially
upgraded detector; the existing data sample will be increased by a factor
of at least twenty in the next few years.

The physics topics that will be addressed include precision
tests of the Standard Electroweak model through studies
of W, Z bosons and top quarks; searches for the Higgs boson
and for evidence of supersymmetric particles; studies of QCD
in hitherto uncharted regimes using jets, photons, gauge bosons
and heavy quarks; exploration of hard diffraction and the character
of the Pomeron; and studies of b-quark states including CP violation,
B_c mesons and B_s mixing.

Our postdocs are encouraged to develop their own physics topics,
in conjunction with other Stony Brook physicists or with others
in the collaboration.

We seek individuals to contribute to our technical responsibilities
which include development of the first level trigger for electrons
and photons; the silicon tracker calibration and alignment system;
and track reconstruction and pattern recognition software.

Applications, with curriculum vitae and three letters of recommendation
should be sent to:

    Prof. Paul Grannis  (grannis@sbhep.physics.sunysb.edu)
    Prof. John Hobbs    (hobbs@sbhep.physics.sunysb.edu)

Stony Brook is an equal opportunity employer.

This ad was added on April 30, 1999:

        Faculty Position in Experimental Cosmic Ray Physics
                        Columbia University

The Department of Physics of Columbia University is seeking qualified
applicants for a position at the level of Assistant Professor in the
area of experimental particle astrophysics to help lead Columbia's
efforts on HiRes, the High Resolution Fly's Eye project in Utah.  HiRes
will measure the energy spectrum of cosmic rays at energies beyond
10**20 eV, search for sources of such high energy cosmic rays and
measure the cosmic ray composition as a function of energy.  A search
for penetrating showers may provide information about the ultrahigh
energy neutrino flux.  The Columbia University group has designed and
constructed the readout electronics for the 42 telescopes of the HiRes
II site now being commissioned.  The full detector should be available
by the end of the summer.  The new Assistant Professor is expected to
take a leadership role in the  HiRes data analysis and supervision of
students. Screening will begin on August 1, 1999, and will continue
until the position is filled.  More information on the HiRes project
can be obtained by visiting the WWW site http://nevis1.columbia.edu .

Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer,
and the Columbia Physics Department is particularly interested in
receiving applications from women and minorities.

    Applications with a cover letter, CV, publication list, and three
 confidential letters of recommendation should be sent to:

  Prof. A. Caldwell,
  Chair, Particle Astrophysics Search Committee
  Physics Department
  Columbia University
  538 West 120, Mail Code 5222
  New York, NY 10027-6902

  E-mail: caldwell@nevis1.nevis.columbia.edu
  Phone:  (212) 854-3340

This ad was added on April 28, 1999:

        Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Experimental Particle Physics
          to work on ATLAS / CDF at University College London

The HEP Group at University College London has an opening for a
Postdoctoral Research Associate to work in the area of Hadron Collider
Physics. The group is collaborating on both the ATLAS experiment at CERN,
and CDF at Fermilab. With the Tevatron due to start taking data again next
year, the group now wishes to increase the resources directed toward
physics studies at these colliders. At present we are involved in CP
violation studies in the B sector at ATLAS, and ElectroWeak physics at
CDF, however we are also interested in diversification into other possible
areas such as supersymmetry. Therefore one of the prime roles of the
sucessful applicant will be to develop and lead an interest in a suitable
physics sector.

We are also involved in several offline computing areas within both CDF
and ATLAS. On ATLAS we are part of the second level trigger collaboration
and on CDF we are involved in track reconstruction and database software.
In both collaborations this work is within an Object Oriented programming
environment. Therefore a second role of the successful applicant could be
in this area. Applicants need not have prior OO experience as this
position would provide an excellent opportunity to gain such training.

The post will be to work with Peter Clarke [clarke@hep.ucl.ac.uk or
peter.clarke@cern.ch] (ATLAS) and Mark Lancaster [markl@hep.ucl.ac.uk]
(CDF) to whom you should direct any informal enquiries. For general
information about the group or application please contact Peter Clarke.

The post will be on the 1A scale, with salary between 15,735 and 23,651
per annum, according to experience, plus 2134 London allowance. Please
send a letter of application with a full cv, publications list and the
names, emails, and addresses of two referees to Peter Clarke . Please
submit as much of the application as possible electronically (most formats
are acceptable including WORD, Latex, PostScript, PDF). Otherwise send to:
Dr P.Clarke, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University College
London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK.

Working towards equal opportunities.

This ad was added on April 19, 1999:

                        PENN STATE UNIVERSITY
                    Experimental High Energy Physics
                     Postdoctoral Appointee Position

    The experimental high energy physics group at The Pennsylvania
State University has an immediate opening for a postdoctoral appointee
with the group participating in the ZEUS experiment at HERA. The successful
candidate will be expected to reside in Hamburg, Germany where she/he would
participate in the maintenance of the ZEUS Uranium/Scintillator Calorimeter
and in acquisition and analysis of data.

    The Penn State University group contributes to diverse efforts of the
physics analysis of the ZEUS experiment, currently concentrating on
studies of diffraction, hadronic final states and jet physics, but the
successful candidate could choose to work on a topic of her/his choice.

    The appointment will normally be renewable annually for a maximum of
three years, subject to mutual satisfaction and the availability of funds
under our NSF contract.

    Candidates should have, or soon will have, a Ph.D. in experimental
elementary particle physics and hardware and/or software experience.
For additional information, please contact Jim Whitmore (814-863-3314 at
Penn State, 49-40-8998-2009 at DESY or email to whitmore@mail.desy.de).

    Interested candidates should send a curriculum vitae and arrange to
have three letters of recommendation sent directly to:

Jim Whitmore
Department of Physics           or to:
104 Davey Lab
Penn State University                whitmore@mail.desy.de
University Park, PA 16802

Penn State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
employer.  Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.