How to open an X11 window on machines without ssh (also Xterminals) from hosts without ssh.
[ Using two hosts with ssh as forwarders ]
Last update: 4-Feb-1999
- From a machine without ssh (or from an X-Terminal) login on dxcalc or other machine with ssh (SSHhost);
- On the SSHhost issue the command: ssh -R<6000 + DisplayNumber>:<YourXserverIPname>:6000 <RemoteSSHhost>
- On the RemoteSSHhost: telnet <RemoteNoSSHhost>
- On the RemoteNoSSHhost set display with server ip name as RemoteSSHhost and display number equal to DisplayNumber,
- Run your X11 application
You are free to choose your preferred DisplayNumber, but the number must refer to a free port on the RemoteSSHhost.
So we suggest to choose a number greater than 50 to avoid conflicts with local X11servers and other ssh X11 forwardings.
If, when you issue the ssh command, you receive the error "bind: Address already in use" simply choose another DisplayNumber.
The channel between your local Xserver and the local ssh host and the channel between the remote ssh host and the remote nossh host are NOT secure.
View a plot with paw running on a remote host without ssh on our local Xterminal.
- From the Xterminal (xterm01.lnf.infn.it) login on dxcalc;
- We choose 543 as DisplayNumber;
dxcalc~> ssh -R6543:xterm01.lnf.infn.it:6000 sshhost.remote.edu
- sshhost~> telnet vms01.remote.edu
- $ set display/create/transport=tcpip/node=sshhost.remote.edu/server=543
- $ paw
mail to: Sandro.Angius@lnf.infn.it
[ LNF Home page |
Computing Home page |
SSH @ LNF ]